Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Bye bye, glasses

Stefanie and I paid a visit to the Eye Institute of Utah today. And had a few tests done. And a few scans. And then signed up to have surgery.

Thanks to Dr. Robert Cionni and Visian, we will both be receiving ICL surgery at no charge. ICL surgery is a type of refractive corrective surgery, like LASIK. But rather than manipulating the corneal tissue like LASIK, an implantable contact lens is placed INSIDE the eye, right behind the iris.

Stefanie is ecstatic. She has had a long history of severe dry eye, and recently has had a very difficult time wearing contact lenses without it resulting in significant eye discomfort. That has meant no volleyball on Tuesdays and Thursdays with the Mormon Wives Grantsville Volleyball League. She is beyond ready to put her glasses away after using them as her primary correction for months now. We were very pleased that The Eye Institute staff and particularly Dr. Cionni were gracious enough to offer to perform the procedure on Stefanie after they had originally only approached me about having it done.

So Stefanie is scheduled to have her surgery two weeks from yesterday, and then I will have it done sometime in February as part of a live meeting for other area optometrists. As excited as Stefanie is to be able to put her contacts, glasses, and dry eye away, she gets quite nervous when thinking about how the procedure is done. I'm sure the pre-operative valium dose will come in quite handy. ;)

3 comments:

Diane said...

What the? That is so awesome! But I have to admit, the jealousy cuts like a knife.

Sharon said...

Those darn dry patches.

Seriously, though. Can't even tell you how jealous I am. I've had the same problem and have worn contacts maybe three times since I bought these glasses 15 months ago.

Good luck, Stef!

Smitty n' Chelle said...

man, I wish you get hook me up!!!