Monday, March 22, 2010

Church Ball




You gotta love the weekend warriors, gathering together to relive their former greatness. At least you love it until the injuries start to pile up. It's all fun and games until someone's arm stops working and they can't keep their head on straight.

Stefanie was playing in a regional womens tournament on Saturday. I took the girls up to a meetinghouse in Tooele where they were going to be playing their 2nd game. But not long after we got there Stefanie called and said she'd gotten injured during her first game so she wasn't going to be able to drive over to meet us. She said her arm was numb and she couldn't move it. I thought that was code for "I didn't really want to play in this anyway, we were losing, and I don't want to play anymore." I guess she was driving the ball and for some reason a mack truck was on the court and ran into her.

Then she came and sat by us once we got over to the other building and I saw that she really couldn't move her right arm. It just hung down at her side like an appendage on reserve. And then the scary party tricks started...if she turned her head to the left, it would involuntarily just fall backwards and she'd have to really strain to get it straight again. Yeah, that was a super comforting sight.

She was with the doctor for a few hours. I think the official diagnosis was a shoulder stinger and vertigo. I'm throwing in the diagnosis of at least a mild concussion. As of today, after a follow-up with the chiropractor, she's getting some range of motion back in her shoulder, she can rotate her head more without it looking like it is going to fall off, and the dizziness and vertigo are decreasing.

And to think I had just gone through my first ever volleyball session with the 6th ward. I would only put myself through that embarrassment to make Stef happy. So the ward just lost two of its players...well, 1.5 of its players I guess.